Monday, December 31, 2012

What is this?

At our house we have wonderful smelling liquid soap in all the bathrooms and the kitchen. The boys know how to pull up the stool or climb up on the toilet to wash their hands. No complaints. Sometimes, being little boys, they forget, but never before have they just stared blankly at a sink. My dad doesn't not have wonderful smelling liquid soap-he has old fashioned bars. Remember those rectangular white bars, where you have to wet your hands, the bar, massage your hands and the bar, put the bar back, rinse off your hands, and finally dry? It turns out that Jack does not remember. I asked him to wash his hands before dinner and after a few minutes I hadn't heard water running and Jack had not reappeared so I went looking for him. My natural inclination was to think he was up to some dastardly deed, but instead I find him just standing in front of the sink staring. He looked as if I had asked him to climb Mt. Everest but had forgotten to tell him what Mt. Everest was, and definitely hadn't given him the appropriate climbing gear. I brought him back to reality by saying his name and reminding him what he was supposed to be doing. He replied, 'But mom there isn't any soap.'  I grab the bar of soap and hold it up to him-here. He looks at me and says, 'That isn't soap, is it? How do you use it?' This may be one of those moments when you realize you have failed as a parent in certain areas- teaching your kids about hygiene and soap (for example). My next thought leads me to wonder how has he been washing his hands at my dad's for the last few years because my dad has only ever had bar soap. Oh well, at least now he knows what soap is.

No comments: