Thursday, December 6, 2012

Happy St. Nick's Day

Thanksgiving came and went and now it is St. Nick's Day. Crazy. I kept waiting for something funny or weird to happen before I wrote another entry, but alas only the normal everyday odd has been happening here. The boys got candy in their stocking today and at Jack's school they left out their play shoes because St. Nick was supposed to stop by with some candy. 

I have left grapes in the pantry, sworn up and down I must have left my purse on the porch because I couldn't find it anywhere only to find it where it is supposed to be, I have gone a whole day without my phone thinking it must be gone forever when that evening I find out it was under a dish towel on my kitchen table all day, and of course there are the numerous times I was going to say, write, or do something only to forget in mid-action. I went to the doctor, not for these things, and I was told I was extremely healthy and according to all my blood work I would live a very long time, yes but I fear my mental faculties won't last near as long. Can I blame kids for this one?  Hmmm....

Jack is learning so much in school. He brings home his works (assignments) every day and they look fine but nothing spectacular in the way of learning, but they must be hidden with secret powers because he is able to read quite a few words now, spell most of the words he can read, count by 10s and 2s, and recognize number words he can't sound out. Last Spring I tried and tried to teach that boy to read. It has been his greatest wish for over a year now-to be able to read on his own. I just made him mad, but his kindergarten teacher is doing it no problems. Well, I am glad - this is why I would never homeschool my kids. Kuddos to those who can--my children and I wouldn't survive it. In other Jack news-- he has lost two teeth now and has two teeth about to come out. He went to the dentist and they say his 6-year molars are coming in and when he is 11 braces are a must. He had his first all afternoon play date with non-family friends recently. We were worried because Jack and his friend are apparently--super crazy together-- so says Jack. The whole morning he kept asking when it was time to go--every 15 minutes in fact. Finally, it was time and when he got back that afternoon he was so pumped and talked about for 4 days after. He even got to play Angry Birds on an Ipad and didn't get angry when he had to stop because there was so much fun still to be had. This is a big deal for Jack. 


As it is now December and Luke is still wearing his Incredible Hulk costume almost everyday, I would say we have gotten our money's worth out of it. He wears it just because he is Incredible Hulk, he wears it so that he can run around and smash, and he wears it to bed. I think we are going to have to adjust the car seat straps because his muscles plus a winter coat are making it hard to get him buckled. He is really into tunes, dancing, singing, and rocking out. He appears to like a variety of music and will demand -louder!- when a song he likes is on the radio. If it has a good dance beat it tends to help. He is very excited about Christmas and knows the three main presents he wants the most-- Incredible Hulk, Buzz Lightyear, and Lightning McQueen. Anytime anyone talks about Christmas near him he tells you his wishlist and then thinks he will be getting one of these items right away. It will be a long few weeks till Christmas. His Granny and Pappy got the boys a Tomie de Paola book--Joy to the World. It has a mixture of songs and stories in it. Luke demands I read and sing every page every night. I cannot sing at all so this is more fun for him than me. 

Thomas has finally picked a comfort object- Tiny dog-- a small stuffed Spot dog. We assumed it would be a blanket so we kept trying blanket after blanket but nothing. Then one day on his own he found Tiny Dog and at first he would just growl at it and tackle it, but I guess that was initiation because now it is a must have. Since it is not a blanket I am not sure how often I can get away with washing it and as you will see in a picture below--he demands to have it even at meal times. After that picture was taken I have, mostly, forbidden him from being allowed at the table. Thomas is in this crying stage and he says he wants a drink but he doesn't, he says he wants food but he doesn't, he says he wants to be held but he doesn't, and it is driving me and Pete crazy. Really just crazy. He loves his daddy something fierce and when Pete leaves he cries and goes to the door/window and hits it crying-Daddy Daddy. If we are all in the car and Pete leaves us to run inside to pick up Jack or grab some food or anything like that Thomas just cries but the second he sees Pete, and he usually sees him before the rest of us, he begins to smile, point and say Daddy Daddy. His life just isn't complete unless he knows his daddy is right there with him.

So as far as Pete is concerned he has had a very tough semester and hopefully next semester will be a bit easier. He will be on research next semester so that makes teaching one less thing he has to worry about. He has been working his butt off to get a paper ready to be published, and I am amazed at how long it takes to go through this process. He will start giving talks at conferences next semester. I think he may go someplace in Michigan and California, but nothing is set in stone.





Tree Decorating Night-drinking Hot Chocolate and waiting on the cookies

Jack putting the angel on the tree

the boys hanging out on the couch drinking lemonade and looking at books

Thomas and Tiny Dog enjoying Spaghetti O's. 

No comments: