Friday, May 7, 2010

Hollerin'

I used to yell across the aisles at Wal-Mart when looking for someone. It never really seemed odd to me because I wasn't the only one doing it. I used to say ya'll all the time, and in trying to not sound like I am from Kentucky I changed it to you all. I say you all often, but in reality who says you all? I may as well say ya'll because why be pretentious with a phrase that people don't use. Then there is hollerin'. In the past week I have rediscovered this word and told Jack to- Quit your hollerin'. I believe Pete is slightly horrified at his Kentuckian wife who occasionally forgets that she is educated and now if not northern, at least mid-western. At least I stopped hollerin in Wal-Mart.

We went to Kentucky last weekend to celebrate Derby by watching it all day on tv, This is not something you can do in Indiana. I miss it. I would say I miss going to Derby, but I have never been. I have attended a few Derby parties, which is what many Louisvillians do instead injecting alcohol into fruit or making vodka ice cubes, but never Derby. I figure we will go one of these days because how can you be from Kentucky and never experience Derby first hand? I did honor it and my past Derby parties with a Makers and coke. I also called Super Saver and Icebox. Just so you know.

While visiting we encountered a flood. The creek across the road was rushing and broke the bank. Roads, bridges, and even Wal-Mart closed. Pete was studying while all the rain was pouring and his journey back is quite a tale. I don't remember all the things he did but I know he was stopped from coming the normal way, tried to go an alternate way, and was again unsuccessful He ended up leaving town and coming in through a different town. This was somewhat more successful, but he couldn't get to the roads he needed. He tried going on the mountain but the road no longer existed and instead he was met with a gate on someone's property. He knocked on someone's door to see if they knew of any way to get home, and they ended up asking their neighbor if he could drive through their field. Crazy I know. The whole time he was gone I was so mad, and worried, but mad is easier to deal with, and just as I was about to tell him what I thought, he told me this crazy story so I couldn't be too mad. Though I don't agree with the part where he said he should win husband of the year. Wouldn't the husband of the year know better than to go study when there is flooding going on?

So here are a couple pictures of us out the in rain before the flooding got too bad.



1 comment:

Heather said...

I think Ya'll should keep hollarin all you want!