Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dear Jack, you just can't do that

Pete brought home toaster strudels, Jack really wanted one, I made him one that evening. The next morning I wake up and there is no Jack, but there are lots of signs of Jack's presence. There is a chair by the refrigerator, there is a chair by the toaster, there are tongs on the coffee maker, and there is a feeling of guilt in the air. I begin by putting the chairs back- they are covered in something crusty feeling. I put the tongs back. I move next to the garbage can, the lid isn't on all the way so I glance down, and notice two toaster strudels. I begin to imagine the scene again, and it all comes into focus. Jack put a chair up to the freezer to get the toaster strudels down, he moves another chair to the toaster and toasts both of them, he can't get them out of the toaster so he gets the tongs and uses them, and I still an not sure where the icing packets are but the crusty stuff on the chairs must be icing. My eyes move over to the utensil container, and I notice next to it are the kitchen scissors out and slightly open. I also put my hand on the table and notice that it is covered in the crusty stuff too. I go to the freezer to see how much icing he used and my guess would be about 4 or 5 packets for two toaster strudels. He comes in around this time, and acts all innocent. I send him to his room and tell him he doesn't get breakfast now since he already made his own, and then decided to just throw them away. Plus, now I have to explain to him why the following things are dangerous: 1. using the toaster unsupervised 2. sticking tongs in the toaster 3. using scissors when unsupervised. Today, which is about 3 days after this incident, I went to get something out of a kitchen drawer when I noticed our super small spatula had icing all over it. Ahh- this is how he spread the icing out-- I was wondering. * Note to Jack- please don't put dirty utensils back in drawers even when trying to be sneaky.

This is a funny Jack thing. I wasn't there but I laughed super hard when I heard it. Pete and Jack went to Wal-Mart to buy garbage cans for recycling and some groceries. In the check out line Jack asked for the black olives,threw them into the garbage can, and then turned to the people behind them in line and said, "If anyone wants some black olives just hop in our garbage can." haha too funny.

Another Jack wanting to get his own breakfast story. This morning Jack was in our bed and at 6:30ish he said he wanted to go in his room. I hear a noise so I go out and tell him to get back in bed for another hour and then I will get up. Ok. 30 minutes later I hear-CRASH! I jump out of bed and there is Jack in the kitchen with a chair up against the refrigerator and his plastic golf club on the floor. There is also the box containing two doughnuts (one for Pete and one for Jack but not to be eaten until after dinner) and my snickers stash (that I keep hidden on top of the freezer) on the floor.

I love that he can do so much for himself but we need some rules like - you can eat bars in the morning because all you have to do is open the pantry and reach in. We need other rules like- No using appliances and no knocking stuff off the top of the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I so love your Jack stories. Though they may be frustrating for you now, you're going to be able to have an arsenal against him when he gets older! You have amazing patience and I so admire your ability to laugh at his antics. Your two boys are so adorable!

Dustin Family said...

He is so awesome! Jack is our favorite! :)