Wednesday, November 10, 2010

So..um... yeah

We went to South Bend last weekend to visit family. I thought my blog would be about that trip and all the fun we had with Sean at the airport. Things haven't really worked out that way. During our trip the kids were anything but saints, and the car ride home about did us in. The days following weren't all that great either-- maybe even worse. We have had a busy 2010. I believe that it has finally, at long last, caught up with us and our kids. We are all just done. We need some time at home in one spot- all alone. However, this is only going to last until Thanksgiving week, then let a whole new season of travel happen.

A couple things that have caught my attention this week:

- When we go grocery shopping we have to divide our groceries into groups, and sometimes there are 3 or more groups. We have to check out each group and it takes time. I don't always buy all the things I need because it is just too much dividing. Is it fun? No. When I approach a line I worry about who will be behind me, how long will it take, did they change things (because it seems like they do more often than they should), and will the person checking me out know how to do this? I get stressed out and embarrassed when people with only a few things get behind me. More often than not I have a wild 3-year-old in the cart and a grabby baby strapped to my chest. So instead of being mad, huffing, puffing, rolling your eyes, glaring at me when I give an 'I am sorry' smile, and then loudly changing lines because it is taking too long think about someone other than yourself. I would rather not be spending my time doing this either. Did you not see my baby trying to grab and eat everything? What about my boy who, at this point, is quite bored and is loudly growling at the bag girl while trying to explode her? You don't have to be in my line, I understand being in a hurry, but please don't treat me like I have just ruined your life-- it is a grocery store line. Get over it.

-We bought a book from a used bookstore, and last night I thought I would read it. I didn't get very far because something interesting caught my eye. All the cuss words were marked out or written over with a replacement word. Hmmm. I have not seen this before and wondered why someone would go through all the effort. I mean they got up, found a pen, tried to find words to replace the bad ones, or just used the energy to scribble dark lines over the offensive word. It would have been easier to skip over it or change it in your mind. Also, I feel like they messed up because they marked out the f-bomb and replaced it with damn. This is fine, I suppose, but they marked out pissed and put angered. I just want to know when did piss become worse than damn?

-This is not really a big thing, but I thought it was funny. While in South Bend we had steak one night. We started eating, the conversation was going, and I realized that these newlyweds had amazingly sharp knives. I mean it isn't the thing that you really notice--until you do. I rudely interrupted the conversation, which oddly enough had nothing to do about knives, to comment on just how sharp these knives were. Then flash forward like 15 minutes later when Pete sits down to eat his steak, and lo and behold he interrupts conversation to say the exact same thing. Yes, the old married couple no longer has sharp newlywed knives.


No comments: