Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Harry Jackums

We spent fall break in Henderson. The very first thing we did when we got there was head out to the fall festival. Jack rode two rides and was then hungry and then ready for bed. So was this a successful outing? Not 100% sure, but I have two pictures to verify that we did in fact go.



The next day we went out for lunch and celebrated Jamie's birthday a few days early. The picture I wanted, but could not get, as my clumsiness prohibited me from getting my camera out in time ( it was busy having a conversation with the floor). Instead of icing on her face you just get her in the hat.



Then there are a few pictures of the cousins and also grandpa with Luke.







So it was simple visit but still nice to see everyone.

The next thing I want to talk about here is Harry Potter. Now this is not an in-depth analysis of the book, characters, religion, or a commentary on social issues. No, this is just pure amazement at one Jack Weigel. I have read/listened as audio books all of the Harry Potter series, and I have seen all movies up-to-date. I am excited to go see the newest movie and have already asked my family to go see it with me ( I like to make them go see fantasy movies with me-- The Lord of the Rings). Pete as had to watch( on video) these movies with me over the years and has never read the books. I decided it was time to get him up to speed on everything, so I am currently reading the books aloud to him. The best time to start reading long novels is during a long drive-- so last weekend was the perfect time to do this. We began at the beginning, as people do, and I read well over half the first book on our way to Henderson. I read some while in Henderson, and finished the first book on the way back and started on the second. Jack was with us the whole time, of course, and he was forbidden to talk. He did not enjoy this and wanted to ask every 10 minutes how much longer we had. We took to ignoring him. However, something happened while I read this book--my son was actually listening. Did he follow it completely- no he is 3. Did he understand what all the words meant and what all underlying themes were-no, again he is 3. He did begin to ask questions and become familiar with some of the characters. When we got into the car he would automatically ask if we were going to read the book again. When we would finish for a bit he would tell us how much he loved the Harry Potter books. When we weren't reading he was talking about them to us. He would say things like: I really like Dudley and Malfoy and the Dark Forest aka the Forbidden Forest. He would ask about the unicorn, Mrs. Weasley, Ron, and the slugs that Ron kept throwing up. Pete noticed this far sooner than I did and began playing up some of the funny parts or cool parts like-- a dog with 3 heads, flying on broomsticks, throwing up slugs, and other parts. Jack loved it. Sometimes it would seem that he had gotten bored, he didn't seem to be listening, he was looking through his own dinosaur books, but if I stopped he would ask why I wasn't reading anymore. This morning he asked over breakfast if I would read to just him, since daddy was asleep, and I did. I must say that I am simply amazed. Just amazed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing amazes me about Jack anymore.

Unknown said...

I should say, nothing surprises me anymore about Jack. He is just incredible, period!

Nancy said...

Just taking after his Daddy and his Uncle Joe (read the whole Chronicles of Narnia series when Pete was 4 and Joe was 2 (or thereabouts)).

spinflipdivided said...

It had to be later than that mom. I remember understanding those stories completely and I think Luke was born by the time we gave up on The Horse and His Boy. Weird. I just realized how many memories I have from when I was Jack's age.