Sunday, August 15, 2010

Having Fun in the Sun

What is summer without a good tan? If you can't get it in the midwest then it is time to head down south, which is exactly what we did. We spent a week in FL with family and it was a lot of fun. We flew with the boys, and I think that we have learned that flying with the boys is a piece of cake, but flying with Becky is not as much fun. Upon arriving at the airport I was ordered, by my husband, to give them all a break and buy a large glass of wine before we went through security. Which, by the way, really does relax you. We would like to take time now to brag about our children and say that on the way there and back we received many comments from other passengers about how well-behaved our children were. I can only say: yes, of course, they act that way all the time- don't your kids?

In FL we spent our time doing a lot of nothing and it was fabulous. Jack built a lot of castles, forts, and mountains. Slowly he built up courage to go in the ocean and let the waves splash him. He would even let Pete hold him and take him out as far as I go, which isn't far because the last thing I need is a shark biting at my leg. He developed major swimming skills while wearing floaties. He could kick his legs, move his arms, go from one side of the pool to the other by himself, and had no problem being thrown from dad -to uncle-to uncle-to pappy. He developed a fear of jellyfish though, and by the end of our trip thought everything on the beach was a jellyfish. In trying to make light of the whole jellyfish phobia I told him that once I got stung by a jellyfish and daddy had to pee on my leg, true story and probably TMI, but I thought Jack would appreciate it.

Luke was super excited about the pool and loved every single minute of it. Smiling, kicking, splashing, and just living the life of being held in the water. He got to sit by the ocean and feel the sand move under his feet- he loved it all. We got to show everyone what a hunka munka he is. I don't think people really believe me when I tell them how much he eats because he isn't a chubby baby, but now I have people who will back me up.

Pete built a lot of castles, forts, and mountains, made up wonderful pool games with Jack like: dragon throws, turbo kicks, dolphin rides, pushing people in the pool, and more games than I could keep up with. He was able to go out in the ocean with his brothers, watch movies with them, and have 'conversations' with his dad.

I mostly read, held baby Luke in the pool, tried to work on my tan (instead of bronze I turned a real nice red), and was able see my cousin and her two boys. I also tried to give my mother-in-law a heart attack by spilling red wine on the carpet. I guess I should have told everyone I am a huge klutz. I always spill something, but it usually lands on me.We played min-golf one night, and it was Jack's very first time. While he doesn't have it down pat, he was actually really good. I see a bright future of holes in one. I couldn't tell which way he held the club because he had his own special way of holding it, but Pete swears he golfed left-handed- this is news because he writes right-handed.
We got to spend the week with Poppa (Pete's grandpa) and it was great to see him and Jack get to know each other a bit better.
So there you have it- a week in FL did us all good. P.S. Cassie we left you and Sean a note. :)



1 comment:

Nancy said...

Darn, I thought I did my best not to over react to that wine spill. And it came up so nicely -- not a trace. Thanks for the update. We had such a special time with all of you.