Monday, October 6, 2008

Toddlers--Oh my

Life with Jack is becoming more and more interesting everyday. He really is becoming a toddler and has left babydom far far away.

Jack discovered a love for apple juice recently. He gets milk in the morning and after that he is allowed juice in the afternoon. Jack has decided that it is apple juice or bust. He goes to the refrigerator and tries and tries to open it, all the while crying, appy juice!! When you give him his milk cup he throws it and looks up at you with his big brown eyes filled with tears, that lower lip rolled out, and his little faced all scrunched up-it really does break my heart. I try not to look at him.

He climbs on the table. Frankly, I don't really care. However, I think about ok what if he is at a friend's house or a family member's house? Then I care more. So I say: ok Jack you have to get off the table. He doesn't really care to get down. The thing that I do find amusing about these ventures to the table top is why he goes in the first place. In the morning I don't clear the oatmeal dishes right away, so when I leave the room to go to the bathroom, Jack climbs up to the top of the table to finish them off. He puts the bowl up to his face and tries to, I assume, lick the very last bits of oatmeal. He grabs the spoons and has them in his mouth along with whatever glass I was drinking out of that morning. It always makes me laugh a little- on the inside.

We have a time-out routine. We tell Jack time-out and then grab one of the dining room chairs, put it in the hall, sit him on it, set the timer for 1 minute-since he is 1, and I hang out in the kitchen until the timer beeps, then I get him down tell him why he was there, I have him apologize, and I give him a hug. Lately we have been using time out a lot more. What sort of things get Jack in timeout? Throwing chess pieces-period, throwing objects at people or animals, kicking mommy while diaper changing is going on, any sort of hitting or pulling of Tigran's tail, and of course no hitting other kids, this has just been amended to even accidental hitting because of his refusal to simply apologize when it is an accident. In the last couple days Jack has become very involved in time-out. Let me explain with an example. Last night Jack was very tired, and I was getting him ready for bed-which includes a new diaper, and he began to kick me. Then he looked at me and started to say something I couldn't quite understand at first. After him saying it again I realized he was saying-time-out over and over again. Once dressed he goes to the chair we use and tried to pull it down the hall-by himself. Once time-out has started he begins doing what he always does-talking. He goes hi, hi hi, hi momma, hi hi. This is why I hang out in the kitchen-that way he can't see me. He never gets up from the chair anymore-he just says hi. Once the timer goes off and I go to him, he says without any prompting--sorry momma and gives me a hug. So does time-out work if the child is so excited to go to time-out that he tells you he has to go and then tries to put himself in it?

This morning when walking into the living room I see Jack over by Tigran. Jack sees me and runs into the kitchen. Of course, this causes me to look once more at Tigran. I notice dog food on top of Tigran. So I turn toward the kitchen and see the mug we use to scoop Tigran's dog food on the floor along with more dog food on the floor. Apparently, Jack thought Tigran needed some more food.

Finally, the last Jack story. For about a month-maybe not even that long- Jack tells us when he poops. He does it about 90-95% of the time. It has been very helpful, and we encourage him to do it. The last two days Jack has told us he has to poop and there has been nothing there. So I just tell him he probably farted because well those stink too. However, there will be a poop there the next time I look. So yesterday I finally put two and two together and realized that he was telling us he was about to poop. Yes I am that slow. So last night he said poop and there was nothing there. I took his diaper off and kept it off. This was to be an experiment of what happens next. I had a diaper out in case it all just fell to the floor. However, I saw his butt clenched together, and he looked at me with a very distressed look and goes POOP!! Those butt cheeks tighter than before, so I decided to save him from his distress by putting a diaper on him. He pooped right away. I am beginning to think we should buy him a baby potty-at least to begin familiarizing him with what it is.


No comments: