Monday, July 28, 2008

A to -and -fro kind of weekend





This weekend saw us in the car everyday, for hours, starting Thursday night. Pete got us tickets to see DMB at Deercreek. It was a wonderful, thoughtful, and generous gift, but as is the case with men, sometimes, the execution of said gift wasn't fully thought out. We have Jack and so the first question that came to my mind was, "What are we going to do with Jack?" Pete responded, "Take him with us." Yes so as you can see right away that men and women do not think alike at all. After quite a bit of discussion, frustration, and many alternate plans it was decided that we would just have to drive to Granny's house on Thursday. The concert was Friday night so Friday afternoon Pete and I got in the car and drove back up to Indy. We ate a early dinner at Harry and Izzys. Then drove to Deer Creek to watch Dave. We had a great time and noticed the huge age gap among the audience goers. Either you were 18 or you were not. We came to the conclusion that to go to a Dave concert in college must be a rite of passage. As we were in the not 18 group we were part of the older minority, but what singled us out the most was the fact that we were probably the only two people who were not drunk. So the concert was fun and the people surrounding us were just as amusing.
The next morning after breakfast we drove into Louisville to eat lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, mostly because of the green chili wantons, the Bristol. Then we headed on to Lexington to watch Danny and Jon play in the Bluegrass State Games. Then it was back to Granny's. We learned that Pappy and Luke were having travel troubles getting out of Haiti so we were all a bit tense since we had no way to communicate with them. Sunday after church Pete and Danny were playing frisbee when Pete fell and maybe sprained his ankle. He couldn't get up or put weight on it for quite some time. Once inside it started to swell some and my grin and bear it-never takes any medicine for pain husband- took some pain medicine. I knew it must be bad. Luckily, his mom had an ankle brace in the house to help him out some. We left shortly after that. I drove 2 hours and Pete drove 3. This is also a big deal because I am not ever allowed to drive the long distance drives-- I think my driving scares him a bit. :P It wasn't until we were back home that we learned that Pappy and Luke were safe in Miami. Pete went off to study and as soon as Jack was asleep I went to sleep. I haven't been that tired in a long long time.
So a quick note about the pictures- Jack and I eat breakfast at Einstein's Bagels pretty often and the table in the back has I Love Becky scratched into the table. Well I saw it this morning and thought that even though this weekend was tough, and I still could use some sleep and/or caffeine, the whole inspiration behind this weekend was exactly what that table says.
* In trying to go back and find said I Love Becky table carving picture a couple years later- I could not so it is not really on here.* The second picture is of Jack at the BGSG where he loved playing with the cars. We also saw a couple more boo-boos Jack had acquired while we were away. One was a slightly busted lip from trying to do something with Tigran under a table and the other was a cut on the head from the corner of the ping pong table. I told you that kid is always getting hurt or into something. He can never go a day without some scar of the day on his body.
The last picture is just of Jack standing on the dvds trying to turn up the music so he can dance up there. That only lasted a few minutes and then he used that position to lecture to Tigran-- using his hands to show he means business.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't believe how grown up looking Jack is. He isn't looking like a baby anymore. I love your blog!.......Karen