Friday, June 14, 2013

Isn't summer supposed to be fun?

In an effort to keep the kids occupied we have been filling up our summer with play dates, t-ball, chess, library visits, going to the park, visiting the pool ( on days far too cold to actually get in), going to the fountains at Purdue, walks, and throwing rocks into a pond. We have supplemented this with learning time, especially for Jack. This involves practicing writing, reading, math, chess, and whatever sport he is in currently. This has also involved sports for me like, you better brush your teeth now or no iPad for 3 days, no hitting your brother or calling him names just because you think it is funny when he cries, how many days can we eat Mac and Cheese for at least 2 meals before I get called out, and trying to find a few minutes to rest by hiding in my room while they do basically whatever they want just so long as they don't bother me. Ah, summer is here.

Instead of sitting on my back porch with a margarita in hand I am driving kids back and forth from activities, waiting for and/or watching them while these activities are going on, and doing all this while wrangling a semi-demonic 1 year old. Oh, he looks cute for other people but in reality he is the loudest, most stubborn, hard-headed child I have ever met.

Summer, the time of birds chirping and kids laughing, also the time when I realize our windows are open and I have been hollering at the kids for 10 minutes. Also the time I realize to check if windows are open next time.

We had been pretty busy for a few days in a row so I thought (minus one activity in the morning) we would just stay in and do nothing, just relax. Haha. I mean really, I have three small boys and a do nothing day is not restful or peaceful, I know this but I just hoped this one day we could pull it off. Nope. Every single toy, couch cushion, book, and baking pan was out and they were bored by noon. Oh man. I then put on a movie which did work for a bit, but soon the yelling, the fighting, the tattling, the eating foods they shouldn't be, and the playing in the toilet began. At this point I think I said, fine you win do whatever you want. Just know I won't clean it up, if you get hurt it is your fault, and I am going to go lay down for a minute so don't bother me. I don't think I will have anymore scheduled down days around here. I get too tired.


No comments: