Thursday, October 27, 2011

old-hat/new-hat

I think back to when Jack was 18months-2 years old and his antics would send me to the phone so I could immediately inform Pete what HIS son did. Now I feel like some things are old-hat. When Luke takes off his pants and diaper to pee on the floor- sorry but I've been there before. When he throws a fit because he doesn't want milk, he is done with lunch after one bite, or dog food is better on the floor than in Tigran's bowl I just say: you don't have to drink or eat it but you don't get anything else, you throw the food on floor you need to help clean it up(unless Tigran helps first), and as far as the fit throwing goes- I am sorry but I will probably just ignore you or stick you in your bed. I am used to books on the floor and spices hidden in drawers I don't expect. When you pushed me this morning because you got mad, or when toys go flying through the air, well you have to go to timeout. When you don't say sorry-- you have to stay in timeout longer. When you throw stuff in the sink or the toilet we just try to rearrange things on the sink in the bathroom so there isn't anything there for you to destroy. These things happen so often you don't even think about them once you get to child number 2. This stage of life tries your patience and temper, but you get used to it.

The next stage I know I will never get used to. When you see your child hurt by a friend and you can't do anything about it. When someone he thinks is a friend causes him to cry it tries your patience and temper, but now the focus has shifted. When he was two we had to protect him from himself, and now that he has entered school we want to protect him from the pain others can inflict, but it isn't within our ability. We can offer love, support, guidance, we can lead by example, show him how to react in situations, but sadly part of growing up means dealing with others and learning that people aren't always nice, even the people we call friends can be hurtful. I know the main thing we can do is show him how special he is, listen to him when he needs to talk, support him, be his advocate and provide a loving and safe home life, but your heart breaks and you feel helpless. 

The thing with parenting is once you figure one thing out, or at least have control over the situation, things change and you have to start all over.



1 comment:

Barb said...

Here, here. It NEVER gets easier. Even when they're 25.