Friday, August 26, 2011

Just don't call it preschool

Today Jack started Montessori- not preschool-- Montessori. If you wish to talk to him at all about school you must get the lingo right or you will not be on the same page at all. I tried to gauge how he was feeling about going to school about a week or so before it started and was met with him telling me he wasn't going to go to preschool. I was devastated-- what were we going to do? How horrible was the first day going to be if he just simply refused to go? After us having the same conversation over and over I brought it up in front of Pete. I quickly learned that I was in the wrong-- I had been calling it preschool when it was Montessori. Once I changed the wording my son told me just how excited he was.

The Saturday before school started was Parent Work Day and we all went out to the school to get it ready. I say that we all went-- this is true- but only Pete and Jack did any work. For three hours they mulched and weeded. Luke played on the playground, then he and I left to go buy water, then we all weeded a little, then the boys and I left to go buy lunch, and then we swung back by to pick up Pete and went home.

Then on Monday we got to go and meet his teachers. There are 3 teachers in his classroom and the following animals: a guinea pig named Bunny, a fresh water lobster named Sheldon, a few fish, and in a couple weeks there will be a corn snake named Shaggy. The animals are, of course, Jack's favorite things. We got to play with some of the toys and learn how to do certain things, he got to see his locker, get his Montessori bag that will act as backpack all year, and find his cubby. It was all very exciting. That evening we had to go back for Parent Orientation, which was pretty much a waste of time since we were just there that afternoon, but Jack and Luke had a blast playing on the playground while I signed up for more work hours and went back to meet his teacher again.

Then today he actually got to go! We got there and he became a bit apprehensive, but luckily Pete handed Luke to me and took control of Jack. He was reminding Jack about all sorts of stuff and making jokes with him to put him at ease then he told me to just stay on the playground with Luke while he took Jack inside. This was probably a good idea. Pete said there was only a moment of hesitation before Jack went into the class. So yay!!!!! I was in charge of pick up so I got to hear all about the day. Knowing that if I immediately started driving I would not learn anything I simply sat in the back of the van with him and asked him questions and let him talk about his day. I learned that they played on the playground and he and a boy named David threw sand at each other, but Jack said he didn't get in trouble. (When he told the story to Pete later he did mention that David got in trouble for it, but he didn't so it wasn't a big deal). He said that he and his new friend swept up pretzels because they were all over the floor, but when I asked if he ate pretzels for snack he said no he didn't eat any. Hmm...
They also pet Bunny but once he nibbled a few boys he was put away.  Jack made me a necklace and said that he played for a second on the piano(keyboard) in the class. I don't think that we could have asked for more.

I of course took a few pictures of him before we went to school so here they are.




No comments: