Monday, June 21, 2010

food and movies

We do a couple things well; watching movies and eating--we did both this weekend.

Saturday we went to Taste of Tippecanoe and enjoyed eating a variety of foods from local restaurants. Pete started out with sushi from Bea One. I wanted to eat some pitas and hummus from Adelino's. *A word about hummus -I LOVE hummus. I mean I feel like I have died and gone to heaven when I eat good hummus. I have not had truly good hummus in a container from the store so the chance to eat good hummus always excites me. I prefer Lebanese hummus vs other varieties or takes on hummus. A food, that for years, I avoided because I thought it was weird has, in the last 5 years, turned out to be my absolute favorite thing to eat.* Then Jack was hungry and given that this was our special outing we let him pick whatever it was he wanted. He decided he wanted candy and candy he got. We went to Kathy's Kandies(where I had my baby shower) and Jack got 1/2 lb of sour poppers. He was in his own sort of heaven. I got a beer from a local brewery ( it was not to my liking, but I did manage to drink 3/4 of it). Pete wanted to eat some Bang Bang Shrimp from The Patio at Bluefin. He thought it was absolutely to die for. I was now wanting some meat so I got Italian Sausage from La Scala. It was good, but we aren't huge La Scala fans.[ We attempted to go once for a date night and made reservations to make sure there wouldn't be much waiting. We entered the restaurant and stood there for quite awhile before a waiter finally noticed us and asked if we had been taken care of. We were seen to our seats and it takes longer than it should for a menu. Then we sit there waiting, waiting, kids screaming and crying, we are waiting and waiting- finally we got water. After about 30 minutes of waiting we got up and left. Even at their booth it took quite awhile to get the Italian Sausage sandwich.] Jack wanted a smoothie so we find one and he loves it. I figure after eating half a pound of sugar and being in 90 degrees, he was in dire need of something refreshing. I decided to take a page from his book, and instead of a smoothie, I went for sangria. I admit it was my first time having sangria, and in oppressive heat it hits the spot. Pete decided to go for water. The boys played by the courthouse for awhile, we listened as the music filled the street, and then I decided it was time for dessert. I narrowed it down to baklava or cannoli then let Jack pick. He decided on the cannoli.


The next day was Father's Day. We had decided to go see Toy Story 3. When it was time to depart for the movie Luke wanted a nap, Jack hadn't had enough of one, I was on edge, and Pete thought we should just wait. It was decided that he and Jack should go, and I would stay here with Luke. 30-40 minutes later the door opens and the boys return. It turns out that the movie was already sold out so they went dragon hunting. This allowed all of us the opportunity to go to the movies at the next showing. Jack was so so excited. The movie was great- I cried. Pete is still talking about it. We all agreed it was better than the first one. If you haven't seen it--GO!!!

As it was Father's Day I would like to take this opportunity to say that I absolutely love how wonderful a father Pete is. It is something I knew before we even got married and had kids. I saw him go to his aunt's house to hang out with his cousins when we first started dating, and once I got to know and see him interact with his two younger brothers it became abundantly clear that he would be an amazing father. It was one of the things that drew me to him. In all honesty I think he is the better parent. He is so patient, kind, gentle while still being firm and consistent, and energetic. This last adjective is the one that kills me-- I could never ever have that much energy. He is creative beyond belief coming up with games, jokes, rhymes, and stories that make Jack shriek with glee. Jack ADORES Pete. Examples: 1. When Pete is on his way up the stairs, we can tell it is him, and Jack will hold the door knob and close his eyes until Pete turns it, then he will open his eyes and scream Daddy! (Every single time) 2. Jack and I will be in the same room, and Jack will be playing by himself, and I will be on the couch reading, watching tv, on the computer, playing with Luke and things can go on like this for an hour or two. Pete comes home or walks into the room and Jack immediately demands every single ounce of Pete's time, attention, and energy. He never leaves his side. If Pete is not giving Jack all of his attention Jack will repeat: 'Daddy, Daddy, Daddy' over and over and over until either Pete answers or I say - hey Jack you know I can play with you or answer your questions right? He barely looks at me as he says- I was talking to daddy not you. There are tons of other examples trust me but these are the two that happen multiple times a day. Jack can't get enough of his daddy, and Pete loves every minute of it. They are quite the dragon hunting pair.



Earlier in the week I took the boys to the fountains at Purdue for a little play date.



I also stage a photo session with the timer on our camera--

No comments: