Saturday, February 13, 2010

A little Bobby Fischer?

e2-e4 e7-e6-if this means anything to you then you and my son have a lot in common . Ok maybe he doesn't understand it 100% but he is well on his way. Last week his book of choice for night time reading was a chess book. He asked me to read from this book-I don't understand the notations so I told him I couldn't. He took the book away from me and says, "Well I will read it to you. Bishop e2, bishop e4, bishop e5 interesting." Then instead of taking his matchbox cars to bed with him he wanted to take his white queen. The same thing happened again when we went in the car- he took his white queen and king. I believe Pete is quite a proud poppa. In a couple years Pete and Uncle Mischa may have to start going to tournaments.

We haven't started the potty training process with Jack because 1. He wasn't ready 2. We figured right before the baby was born was not the time to do this. We still aren't potty training him, but he is starting to become very very interested in the potty. He will take off his diaper and demand to sit on the potty. If he pees in his diaper, even once, he gets upset and wants a new diaper. So this seems to be optimal potty training time but frankly I don't have the energy and Pete isn't here all day to devote the time to it. I am afraid we will miss our window of opportunity though. We were helping to prop him up on the potty but there is no way poop could happen, so we went to Target to buy him a little seat to go on the potty. I was going to grab the simple white seat, but Pete stopped me and grabbed the Cars potty seat. (Nice eye Weigel). So Jack is very excited about this potty seat. He somehow got a little confused about what it was and thinks it is a Potty Train. We don't really want to correct him because he thinks the fact it is a Potty Train is pretty cool. Since I just can't bring myself to devote full time to this we only use it a few times during the day. I am already noticing a problem. He has been promised 1 Life Saver every time he pees, so he will pee and get his Life Saver and then as soon as it is gone say- I need to pee- when back on the potty he will pee. The kid is saving his pee up and portioning it out so he can get more candy. Not sure how to deal with this as I don't want to start getting mad at him or punishing him for using the potty, but I don't want to reward going to the potty only to have him hold some of it in. There have been no poops, but he is more than willing to try. He will sit there for minutes and try but not be able to, but get his diaper back on and 3 minutes later he has pooped.

Well we are hoping for Big Baby to come soon. I have a feeling it will be-- so keep us in your prayers!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the potty training! Hopefully Jack will catch on really quick and make it easy on you, especially with that baby coming any day! The chess thing is too funny!

K.S said...

My little chess player! Couldn't be happier. He'll be demolishing me with his monstrous sicilian dragon play soon enough!