Thursday, February 2, 2012

Packing

Moving whether it be across the state, country, or ocean feels like a never ending process. I go through one closet, one cabinet, one room, and I feel like I have accomplished so much, but then I take a step back and it just looks messier and I see there is far more left to do. Then there are those things that I want to pack, but wonder if I will need them in the next month and half before we leave Indiana, so they stay put. Since we are chucking most of our things it has been an interesting mix of emotions. Still no matter what- Jack's room continues to look like this:

We have gotten rid of half of our toys, but somehow whatever we have left manages to be dumped onto the floor. 

Jack isn't overly excited about moving but did recently say that he was happy to move because he wouldn't have to sleep on an air mattress with a hole in it anymore. 

I have filled up my planner with weekly to-dos from now until we leave. It doesn't feel so overwhelming anymore. Maybe because I know that I can get it done before we leave with no problems. Maybe because I know when we move the first few months are going to be so much more stressful than anything going on now so why make it worse by stressing over the things we have under control? Maybe I am even becoming slightly excited about this whole new experience--maybe? 

I am sad that baking over there is going to be quite difficult. They don't have baking soda or brown sugar and I have heard you have to sift the flour multiple times before you can use it to make cookies; if you are able to procure the needed baking items at all. I am probably going to pack baking soda and maybe 1 bag of brown sugar? I guess I will have to find some German dessert recipes once we are there.

I have decided I need to start saving for a nicer camera so I can take clearer/crisper pictures of all our travels and adventures. We started making a list of cities we want to see while we are there, and that does have me pretty excited about moving.

Still we have a lot of US fun coming our way before we go: Thomas's baptism, a math conference at Vandy, Luke's 2nd birthday, Jack's 5th birthday, bringing cupcakes to Jack's school for his first birthday at school, saying goodbye to family and friends, and maybe celebrating Pete's birthday before we leave since it will happen just a few days after we arrive in Germany.

2 months until we leave the states completely and a month and a half before we leave IN. I've got it under control.



No comments: