Wednesday, October 7, 2009

babies, toddlers, and out of town/ out of my mind

My sister, Mary, had a baby girl on Sept. 30th. I thought it would be great to go and help out, plus the added bonus of seeing Jack around a newborn couldn't be bad. Well, I just want to say right now that if anyone wants to help out a new mother- LEAVE ALL TODDLERS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, I was so angry, mad, stressed, mean, tense, and unhelpful. SORRY! I had great intentions, but we all know the adage. It wasn't that Jack was malicious or in anyway hurtful or harmful toward the baby, but toddlers need routine, exercise, and sleep- Jack had none of these. He was actually very sweet toward Khloe; he kissed her all the time, hugged her, wanted to help when she was crying, but that part didn't out weigh the rest. He never listened to me-ever, he never slept-ever, he did the exact opposite of what I said, and took so much of my time that I really couldn't be of any real help. Of course the fact that this baby was extremely good and didn't require much of my help in the first place also made me feel useless. They were really on that 2-hr. schedule of nursing and sleeping accompanied by almost no crying. We left 2 days early because we were causing more noise and disruption in their house than the new baby.

Things weren't all bad- here is Jack reading to Khloe while Mary took a nap.


Jack laughing at something - who even knows.




Jack holding Khloe our first night there.



I did get to see a glimpse of how kind and sweet Jack will be toward a new baby, and I think being at home with his dad, dog, friends, routine, and bedroom door that locks from the outside will all help when it is our turn in March.

Other notes:
I am taking weekly progesterone shots to help prevent preterm labor. Now that I have had the first one I am actually pretty nervous about continuing them. I am looking for any information people may have. I think the fact I am having a boy is intensifying my fears- maybe that is silly but there you go.

Pete has a math conference this weekend which is great for him because it is here at Purdue and the two professors he works with are hosting it, but sad for us because that is our fall break. Who schedules a conference over fall break? boo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haven't been to your blog in a couple weeks. Good to hear your news, you are such a good writer. Great seeing the pictures of Jack and baby brother too. Take good care of you, Becky.